Sunday, April 8, 2007

Books That Changed Your Life 2



Photographic art © 2007 by Julius Lester

This book that changed a life comes from Leah D. Nelson who lives in Champaign, IL.

"In my early teens, I had bad taste in everything — clothes, music, and even books. Goes with the territory, I suppose. It was the early '90s, and young adult horror novels were all the rage in the world of fiction. The characters were usually banal, plots predictable. I read them out of habit. Imagine my delight when I found, within all of the muck, a gem by Christopher Pike, of Chain Letter 2: The Ancient Evil fame.

"The book is The Starlight Crystal. Our hero, 18-year old Paige Christian, follows her destiny through space, time and The Creation of the universe. It is science fiction meets philosophy and it brought me closer to my higher power.

"I re-read the book just last week, at the age of 28. I am in a period of transition and uncertainty, and Paige comforted me by following the path laid before her, no matter how much fear or uncertainty lingered in her heart. She prevailed in her mission, despite the odds against her and the aliens who seek to destroy her. It helped remind me of all the adversity I have overcome, and gave me fresh hope for the next chapter of my life."

*****

There are many more people who read this weblog than have shared books that changed their lives. I would love to hear from others of you.


TODAY’S QUOTE

“Never ruin an apology with an excuse.”

Kimberly Johnson

TODAY’S WORD

Abozzare (Italian) – to accept meekly a far from satisfactory situation.

TODAY'S ART

This is "Alone, Herself #7". I took the photograph on Cape Cod at the Wellfleet
Town Beach.