Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Found Poem #4, and More Words We Need in English




FOUND POEM #3

"I'm the commander -- see,
I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why
I say things. That's the
interesting thing about being
the president. Maybe
somebody needs to explain
to me why
they say something, but
I don't feel like I owe
anybody
an explanation."

Pres. George W. Bush, in Bush At War by
Bob Woodward, p. 145-6.

MORE WORDS WE NEED IN ENGLISH

'akihi (Hawaiian) to walk off without paying attention to directions

vybafnout (Czech) to jump out and say boo

curglaff (Scottish dialect) the shock felt when plunging into cold water

a'anu (Cook Islands Maori) to sit huddled up, looking pinched and miserable

achaplinarse (Spanish, Central America) to hesitate and then run away in the manner of Charlie Chaplin

teklal-tekluk (Indonesian) the head bopping up and down with drowsiness

All words are from The Meaning of Tingo by Adam Jacot de Boinod (Penguin Press ISBN 1-59420-086-6)